What do you think?
Q: "How long will it take before I can play the piano?"
- Years of traditional piano lessons are recommended.
- Beginner (3 - 5 years of lessons)
- Intemediate (2 - 3 more years)
- Advanced (3 - 4 more years)
- Anyone can learn, at any age.
- Have patience. Set realistic goals.
- Build upon a proper foundation of technique and theory.
- A kind, experienced, and encouraging teacher is essential.
- Consistency is the key. Keep taking lessons and practice.
- Learn at your own pace. Have fun!
- Yes! A real piano in good condition, in tune, is recommended.
- The heavier keys of a piano develop finger muscles more.
- Pianos come in various sizes: spinet, console, studio, and grand.
- Any piano with an even action and decent tone will do.
- A digital piano is an alternative. Won't need tunings and has volume control.
- A piano is solid and has a sturdy music rack. Like a desk or work space, it's furniture for your home.
Q: "What if I can’t make it to a lesson?”
- Sometimes you just can't make it to your scheduled lesson due to appointments, obligations, vacations, weather, illness, traffic, even forgetting. This happens.
- A courtesy call to inform the studio is expected.
- Good communication allows for scheduling adjustments.
- Lessons may be rescheduled according to availibility.
- Non-attended lessons are non-refundable.
- Teacher cancelations are rescheduled or credited to the student.
Q: "What if I haven’t practiced?”
- Always, always, always, attend a lesson no matter what.
- Learning takes place with a teacher even without preparation.
- A “practice lesson” provides encouragement and alleviates frustration.
- Important skills are worked on (technique, counting, harmonic theory, ear training, and repertoire review).
- Students and parents sometimes call these "fun" lessons.
- To varying degrees, all music students go through this experience. It builds character and musicianship.
- Embarrassment from lack of practice is a poor reason for skipping a lesson. However, the choice is yours.
- Hank took lessons for 20 years. He knows the feeling.